Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Based on some discussions with others, and the following exerpt from a Fool Article I have determined that I should not be required to pay CapGains tax on the sale of my home.

"The key to the entire plan is that you are allowed to sell a principal residence once every two years and exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 for a married couple) of the gain on the sale."

I have lived in my home for (4) years, it is my only property, and my child would be forced to pay estate taxes if I were realize a $250,000 gain die to my massive heart attack.

The real question is will I have to pay income tax on the gain and at what rate? Any info would be appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.