Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Whether to file your taxes for the vacation rental under schedule C or E has been discussed on the tax board and concluded widely in many places and tax books that it should be filed on schedule E. Recently, on another vacation rental board, I came across this experience"

I don't mean to muddy the waters here, but we just ended an ugly two year 2008 IRS audit and the findings were our taxes were done incorrectly by our CPA. The IRS stated we should be using Schedule C, not Schedule E for the overnight rental cabin.

We have to have 2009 and 2010 revised.

If anything interesting comes up on that thread, I will post it here, as you have to sign up for that Yahoo board. It's well worth watching. Vacation rentals as an industry are exploding in popularity. Perhaps the IRS ignored it for the most part, but now realize they left a good deal of money on the table, if only in social security taxes. I can't help but wonder if this ruling is a sign to come.

cross posted on Vacation Rental Management board
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.