Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Based on many Fool and my own questions regarding rotation and big winners (should I cash out now, since one of my FF is at 50% gains?), I've done some math. I've found that a portfolio only requires an additional 5% gain (from a 25% FF gain to a 30% gain) to make up for a 12% tax hit between short-term (40%) VS. long-term (28%) capital gains. From this I've concluded that, to keep it simple and manage the entire FF portfolio as a whole instead of individual winners and losers, if the ENTIRE FF portfolio goes beyond 30%, one should indeed consider selling prior to a year and a day in order to capitalize on more frequent compounding, while at the same time not compromising gains to short-term taxes. This thinking is based primarily on maintaining the 25% annual return typical of a FF portfolio. How does this sound?

-Mark
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.