Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
All,
I've posted this on Saul's board too. I've seen posts where Cosmid and Fuma mention Tricida Inc.(TCDA) and so I did some digging. Fuma lists TCDA as a stock he currently owns.

Tricida has developed a drug known as Veverimer (aka TRC101) is a polymer ingested to absorb acid in the stomach and pass it through the feces as a way to help treat Chronic Kidney Disease. I thought to myself wouldn't an antacid do the trick, but this drug really seems to hit a niche where it absorbs a lot of acid and meets an unmet need. Here's some highlights about Veverimer (that I hope I got right) from the S-1:

1. Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) kills more people than breast cancer or prostate cancer.
2. 30,000,000 people in the US have Stage 3-5 CKD - 35% are diagnosed.
3. TCDA believes that they have 550,000 potential patients.
4. The mechanism of treatment allows for treatment of hypertension, edema, and heart failure.
5. Excellent Phase 3 data:
Veverimer: 4% patients receiving this drug had kidney function loss >50%, all 124 patients survived.
Placebo: 10.8% of these patentients had kidney function loss>50%, 4 out of 93 patients died.
6. There are no competing therapies.

I have no idea what TCDA will charge for Veverimer, but it looks like a HUGE market to me. The submitted a New Drug Application on 9/4/19 under the FDA's accelerated approval program. Typically, accelerated approval decisions come in around 8 months.

TCDA is a $1.7B stock. It would seem like an opportune time for a larger pharmaceutical firm to gobble them up. TCDA had an investor day on 10/15, and it has popped about 10% since. This seems like a solid bet, so I picked up a few shares (2%) today. I am no physician, but I think this is worth a look.

Best,

bulwnkl
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.