Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
tdx speaks the truth:I recognize my own limitations, and accept that fact that I may not be Warren Buffett. Now let me once again state that I agree with you about things not being impossible, but there's a fine line between not backing down to people and being irrationaly stupid (I think you're on thr right side of this line, but the majority of Americans are not). I believe that many people will use your line of thinking to say "hey, I can beat the market" and then procede to flush their retirement savings down the toilet.

This brings me back to the point of my original post, which is that indexing isn't for the less-intelligent. It's for those who have the strength, and I daresay, and the intelligence to recognize their own inherent limitations.

I think you have done an excellent job of analyzing yourself and your abilities and it is very impressive. It seems that most people go through their whole lives without making a similar evaluation.

I believe it is important to approach investing as you would any other business venture. You must know and believe you will succeed but you must also be willing and able to put in the hard work to get there. However, it's is not right for everyone, and if you have other priorities or interests or whatever and you can't give investing your full attention then I think index funds are the next best thing.

Good luck with your business, what are you thinking of doing?

st
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.