Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
http://www.telefonica.com/en/shareholders_investors/html/div...

Payouts will still be signicantly higher than most other stocks.

Strains from poor Spanish market and high debt load being felt. I am still holding this one.

sw
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Same here, sw.

Cheers!
Murph
Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 3
A couple of thoughts come to mind. European companies are generally much more apt to, and comfortable with, adjusting dividend payments in response to the ebbs and flows of earnings and capital requirements than U.S. companies are, whose shareholders tend to see a retreat in the dividend payment as a sign of weakness and an admission of defeat. Sometimes, the smartest thing to do is to reduce dividends and in this case I see it as a positive and intelligent choice. The stock price should have gone up, not down.

kelbon
TEF went up over 3% today, I think it was a smart move also to lower the dividend.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Everything went up 3% today. With the highly correlated market we now have it's hard to tell why stocks pop up or down besides the herd on the street running this way or that. Right now Merkel sneezing is more important than a company doing the right thing. It's a maddening market. :(

Denny Schlesinger
<Everything went up 3% today.>
I would re-phrase that this:
Everything should have gone up 3% today but it did not.

On days like this I like to look at my portfolio and see what is lagging and determine why (if I can). Then I consider if I should be holding that stock in this type of market. Weak stocks that don't peform well on strong up days should be singled out and at the least make a mental note. It may be or may not be normal for that particular stock. It may be simply losing a little momentum or it may be a danger sign that something else going on. At any rate, it can help tell you some things.

OT: I hold considerable T and can't believe management signed a contract with 4 billion dollar "penalty" included. Yet the market did not flich at this move. Why? Is the stock undervalued? Does money grow on trees? Makes me wonder about the management of T and maybe I need to find another telecom.