Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 23
Tele - I wasn't trying to downplay anything in the article, or argue whether the 4% SWR was actually safe or not.

I was only pointing out that you were reading the table incorrectly when you said

If you retire, at a 4% withdrawal rate, you will need over 7 million to safely withdraw $89K a year. That assumes NO other income like pension or SS.

That's wrong. The table said a 4% rate required $2.23MM The $7.88MM figure was based on a portfolio yield of 1.13%

I guess the problem is that you can't admit you were wrong, so you just keep trying to deflect with other arguments. So, I will say it more bluntly:

Tele - whether you want to admit it or not, you read the table incorrectly. Any other posts back to me don't need to say anything other than "Yes, AJ, you are correct - I was wrong" If you don't want to say that, then don't say anything.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.