No. of Recommendations: 7

So you worked for 44 years and contributed? You only need 35 max out. So you contributed (and your employer did) for another 9 years?

My employers and I contributed for 54 years and 7 months. This gets rounded up to 55 years by Social Security. The 35 years used in the AIME calculation started in 1977. By then I was classified as a "maximum wage earner" as my annual earnings exceeded the amount insured by Social Security.

The first 19 years consisted of part-time jobs while in high school and college plus military service during the Vietnam war. I wouldn't have wanted any of these years included in the 35 years used to determine my AIME.

- -----

The problem that I had with your earlier response to CLF was your assertion that "as your income goes up, you get less of your contribution back."

It's when you claim Social Security and your lifespan not your income that determines whether or not you receive more in Social Security benefits than you and your employers contributed to FICA. Most Social Security beneficiaries will receive more in benefits than was contributed to FICA.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.