No. of Recommendations: 4
telegraph,

You wrote, if you live in CA, and make $200,000 as a software engineer, but living in your van since you can't afford a $4000/month apartment, between the feds bite and the state bite ...

You're just used to what you've been paying... If you are single in CA and making $200K/yr, you are taking home $11K/month. So rent is still just about 36% of your take-home.

And yes I've looked. You're right in the ballpark for rent and incomes in Cupertino, CA ... where my nephew just took a job with Apple.

BTW, I think I paid about that (as a percentage of take-home) when I first moved into an apartment back in Dallas Texas in '83. I think I was making less than $20K/year and my rent was almost $400/m. But the thing about Cupertino is that you don't rely on central heat and air nearly as much (so a lower power bill) and entertainment opportunities are more plentiful than in Dallas - especially outdoors.

Also I've found that there can be a nice side-benefit to working in one of these high-cost areas. If you can save essentially the same percentage of your income working here as in a lower cost area, you get to save more in absolute dollars! So if you intend to retire some place cheaper you might be able to achieve that goal more quickly. The only better option would be to work for these higher wages; but do it remotely from some place that's cheaper. :-)

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.