Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
telegraph,

You wrote, Most lottery winning amounts are based upon a 20 year payout. You get even less if you take a 'lump sum'.

If you couldn't retire after 20 years earning $200K/year, I think you must be doing something wrong...

I've already worked 27 years of what I hope will be no more than a 40 year career. During that time I've probably earned less than $2M gross. Even with inflation, I expect to earn probably less than $3M in total. Despite raising a family and dealing with a spendthrift spouse for nearly 20 years, I think I should be able to retire in reasonable comfort with only a portion of that my income saved - mostly in my latter years.

I make pretty good money here, especially since they pay overtime; but if I won the lottery tomorrow (not going to happen since I don't play), I would probably give notice by the end of the week.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.