Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Personally, I already own stock in three nominees, Dell, Cisco, and Tellabs, as well as in a current Cash-King stock, Pfizer. I used to own a lot of stock in GE, but sold it a few months ago to diversify among Dell, Network Associates, PeopleSoft, Compaq, Cisco, and Tellabs, respectively.

Dell has an extremely high ROE of 78% going for it. It is currently my favorite stock. I also have more money invested in Dell than any other stock, composing 1/3 of my entire portfolio. Dell has a projected long-term growth rate of 28%. It has about 1% long-term debt.

Cisco is also a great stock. ROE of 35%. Long-term projected growth rate of 30%. Cisco's CEO has twice recently giving warnings that it will not meet that 30% LT growth rate unless the Asia crisis gets better or new business opportunities pop up. It has no debt.

I vote for Tellabs because Dell, Cisco, GE and the others are already "popular" stocks. Everybody hears about them in the Motley Fool, on CNBC, CNNfN, Business Week, etc. Many of the nominees are consumer oriented companies with well known brand names. The reason Tellabs makes up the smallest percentage of my own portfolio is because I know less about it than the other companies I own. Nobody covers it in the press, but they will eventually if it keeps growing the way it is.

Tellabs makes telecommunications equipment, and it should benefit a lot from the growth of the Internet and telecommunications industry degregulation. Tellabs has a 30% projected long-term growth rate, about the same as Dell and Cisco. It has a ROE of 30%. Long term-debt of 2%. Its PEG is lower than Dell's and about the same as Cisco's. Unlike its famous competitor, Lucent, Tellabs is reasonably priced.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.