Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Personally, I already own stock in three nominees, Dell, Cisco, and Tellabs, as well as in a current Cash-King stock, Pfizer. I used to own a lot of stock in GE, but sold it a few months ago to diversify among Dell, Network Associates, PeopleSoft, Compaq, Cisco, and Tellabs, respectively.

Dell has an extremely high ROE of 78% going for it. It is currently my favorite stock. I also have more money invested in Dell than any other stock, composing 1/3 of my entire portfolio. Dell has a projected long-term growth rate of 28%. It has about 1% long-term debt.

Cisco is also a great stock. ROE of 35%. Long-term projected growth rate of 30%. Cisco's CEO has twice recently giving warnings that it will not meet that 30% LT growth rate unless the Asia crisis gets better or new business opportunities pop up. It has no debt.

I vote for Tellabs because Dell, Cisco, GE and the others are already "popular" stocks. Everybody hears about them in the Motley Fool, on CNBC, CNNfN, Business Week, etc. Many of the nominees are consumer oriented companies with well known brand names. The reason Tellabs makes up the smallest percentage of my own portfolio is because I know less about it than the other companies I own. Nobody covers it in the press, but they will eventually if it keeps growing the way it is.

Tellabs makes telecommunications equipment, and it should benefit a lot from the growth of the Internet and telecommunications industry degregulation. Tellabs has a 30% projected long-term growth rate, about the same as Dell and Cisco. It has a ROE of 30%. Long term-debt of 2%. Its PEG is lower than Dell's and about the same as Cisco's. Unlike its famous competitor, Lucent, Tellabs is reasonably priced.
Print the post Back To Top
My vote also goes to Tellabs. I couldn't have said it any better. Preach on, brother!!!
All I know about TellLabs is that when sprint announced all the new digital stuff they intend to inflict upon their network, they said they were switching from TellLabs switches to Cisco. (And that TellLabs was kind of upset at the time...)

- Oak
And how about this for strong historical performance? According to the 1998 S&P Stock and Bond Guide, Tellabs posted annualized EPS growth of 64%. Total return over 12, 36 and 60 months is 40.5%, 56.2% and 91.6% respectively.

Since Cisco is the front runner in the poll, I'll pull the same numbers for them. 5 year EPS growth is 40%. 12, 36 and 60 month total return is 31.5%, 68.3% and 53.5%.

Go Tellabs!