Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3

I have read through some of this confusing mess. Phil gave you some good, detailed answers. Here is the short version:

1. Taxes withheld from dividends paid to stock, mutual funds or ETFs held inside any type of tax-advantaged account, IRA/401k/403b/etc, are lost money to you. If you own an ETF, the ETF has the tax withheld and pays you the remainder.

2. If you hold these items in a taxable brokerage, you file for the tax credit on your US tax return.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.