No. of Recommendations: 21
I don't know if this is the right place...

Hi. I'm 36 years old and I have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). I was diagnosed in April of 2015 and have a slow progression that has allowed me to work until this past November. I am now on short-term disability through an insurance company which will transition to long-term in a few months. I applied for Social Security Disability, which I am guaranteed to get with my diagnosis. Together, with the insurance, I will make 60% of my most recent salary. My parents just moved in with me to help with my care, as I will soon be in a wheelchair. My wife left me a few years ago and we have one 8-year-old daughter together.

I've been thinking a lot of my portfolio allocation. I have 56% of my money in various indexes (mostly S&P and TMI). I only have 3% in bonds. The other 40% is in various stocks, usually more growth-minded/risky.

The thing about ALS is that I don't know how much longer I will live. I have a very slow progression (thankfully!), the average ALS patient lives 3-5 years after diagnosis. I need my cash to last me an unknown amount of time, but I probably (maybe?) won't make it 10 years. After that, I want to leave as much as I can to my daughter.

I’ve already set up a trust and my will so my daughter gets everything at age 25 (assuming I’m gone by then). The executor has been instructed to leave everything as it is until that time. Then there are further instructions to her to hire a fee-based advisor if she needs help with investing. I have over $500k of life insurance that will pay to her if I go before I'm 55.

I'm going to cut my spending and increase my investments...but I'm struggling with my portfolio allocation. I want to maximize my returns, but I know that you should go more conservative as you near the end...but my nature is to be more aggressive.

Any thoughts from the experts here on how to go about my investing? Should I change to dividend stocks to supplement my income? I don't think I have enough invested that it would make a difference anyway. Should I just do what I want and let her have the insurance money and whatever is leftover?

I've come to grips with my diagnosis...just trying to figure out a way to go forward with an unknown time horizon. (I could be gone next year...or 20)

Thanks in advance!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.