Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi all,

Hope you all don't mind if I hijack the board for a little health update.

Ever have a cough?

You know, one of those coughs that lasts for quite a long time....weeks, in some cases.

Turns out you shouldn't mess around with those.

About 2 weeks ago, I started having a little cough. I didn't think anything of it, because it was infrequent, so I sucked on a Halls every so often and went about my business.

Over the course of time, it got worse. Finally, after the cough woke me up two nights in a row, I decided that enough was enough and made an appointment at the on-site clinic at my work to get it checked out.

One Peak Flow breath test, a breathing treatment, a bottle of cough syrup, a Z-Pak (antibiotics), an Advair disc inhaler, and a blood test later I am being treated for walking pneumonia.

The blood test was for walking pneumonia and hasn't come back yet, but the doctor decided to give me antibiotics rather than wait 3 or 4 days for the results so as not to postpone treatment longer than necessary. She said that the most likely causes of my problem are either the walking pneumonia or another viral condition. She said that if it is NOT the walking pneumonia, the treatment should not aggravate the possible viral condition.

I am basically in a state of acute bronchitis and hopefully-temporary asthma.

Yuck.

If I don't show significant improvement by Monday, a chest x-ray is in my future. So far I haven't coughed TOO much today, but I am not sure it is because of the treatment. I have been at home by myself virtually all day, not talking to anyone and not exerting myself. Talking for any length of time and exercising greatly exaggerate the cough, such that I have had situations where I go into a big fit of coughs in a meeting where I am presenting information.

On the plus side, my experience at the clinic at work was very good. This clinic has only been open for about 6 weeks, and is vastly different from any doctor's office I've ever been in, which was of course the vision of my company's CEO. I work for a healthcare IT company, and the clinic works ENTIRELY off of the systems that my company sells to hospitals, clinics, etc. I didn't see a single piece of paper during my doctor visit until the end, when I got a receipt for my pharmacy bill (there is a pharmacy on-site as well) and a printout of information about my condition. Kind of nice to go to a doctor's office where you don't fill out the same medical history form three times, where the doc spent 60 full minutes with me, and where there is no such thing as a waiting room. It's cool to be on the cutting edge.

Hope everyone else is doing well this weekend.

d
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
One Peak Flow breath test, a breathing treatment, a bottle of cough syrup, a Z-Pak (antibiotics), an Advair disc inhaler, and a blood test later I am being treated for walking pneumonia.

Poo. I noticed your breath catching a few times while we were at dinner, but was hoping it was just my stunning beauty, not the cough.

At least the Z-pac is strong stuff. This rainy icky weather can't help, but I hope that you at least start feeling better soon.

impolite
P.S. And I still have some brandy, if you'd just like to be drunk until the meds start working

No. of Recommendations: 1

Poo. I noticed your breath catching a few times while we were at dinner, but was hoping it was just my stunning beauty, not the cough.

I think you must have confused her with me.

RJ
No. of Recommendations: 0

At least the Z-pac is strong stuff. This rainy icky weather can't help, but I hope that you at least start feeling better soon.

impolite
P.S. And I still have some brandy, if you'd just like to be drunk until the meds start working

I can't have the brandy unless you come over. You explained the cardinal rule of Odee's brandy is to make sure you to NOT do it alone.

:o)

d
No. of Recommendations: 1
But then she might get the cough.
I know - You can rig up an across-the-room pulley, like we did when my sister and I both had chicken pox and were home from school. Then you can pass the bottle back and forth until you can no longer operate the pulley.
Which will be the hint to stop!
Pine