Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I respect what Elon Musk has been able to accomplish with Tesla, but the astronomical price earnings ratio has been a turn off for me.

I decided to buy Tesla. My target price has been 685 when I calculated the forward PE fell to 60. Price fell to 664 (into the 640s Friday). I calculate as follows: Last quarter they reported 3.20/sh earnings. Times 4 gives 12.80. They are increasing production by 60% next year. I’m estimating a 30% increase in earnings. That gives 16.64 expected earnings. At 664, the estimated PE is 39.89. I see Tesla as a true growth company well worth a PE of 40. Supply chain and can he sell all the cars he can make are the risks. But so far looks promising.

Today the Tesla price seems to have bottomed. The Twitter deal could be a distraction. The sexual harassment charges are a concern. And Tesla got removed from an environmental list. But still Elon seems to be a winner.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.