Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
No. of Recommendations: 0
I remember a time when Friday night meant something. Look at us now, nothing better to do than watch the Marvel board waiting to post something. Do you guys feel as old as I do?

Campioni
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
My kids are asleep and my wife is practicing the piano. What else have I got to do? Anyway, yes, I feel old. I first felt it when I convinced myself that I wasn't actually balding, but that gravity was just sucking my hair through my scalp and forcing it out my ears and back.

The other thing is most people I know think talking about stocks is as exciting as watching flies have sex, so I sort of need this outlet.

Let's all have a good weekend, with people, face to face, in the out-of-doors!

AW
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I still get carded routinely when I buy alcohol at 34, and I'm serious about nutrition and fitness, so no, I'm not worried about the age thing. I blame my lack of weekend sociality on the fact that I currently live in one of the worst, most cultureless cities in the US (#1 in adult illiteracy, top 5 in toxic waste, city boards dominated by fun-hating bible-thumpers), and my girlfriend is an overworked sleepaholic. I am at relative peace with my current situation. In a few months, I'll live elsewhere and everything will be different.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
At least you might actually have an excuse being "older", I am 21, and I am here having nothing else better to do.

Actually tried to go see the Moore flick, but it was sold out.

Sal
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
As far as the Balding, I am right there with you. I am losing my hair, it is really depressing. I even spend 50$/month on propecia, and now I am stuck taking a pill that I am not sure is doing anything for me. I can't stop taking it, because I am worried that the hair loss will accelerate.

Sal
Who stares at his himself in front of the mirror from several angles to guage the extent of the receding hairline, and also has used his sony cybershot to examine the damage.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Sal Who stares at his himself in front of the mirror from several angles to guage the extent of the receding hairline, and also has used his sony cybershot to examine the damage."

You win. I can't top that.
Thanks for the laugh! Good night.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
And it is truth too, reality is funnier than fiction.

Sal
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
A bit off topic, but in keeping with this thread:

I went for a haircut a couple of days ago. The woman who was cutting my hair announced that it looked like I had more gray hair than the last time I had been in.

I asked her if she was working on getting a decent tip.

She replied that I shouldn't worry because it also looked like my hairline was receding and the gray hair would soon be gone.

I told her I wouldn't need to buy shampoo or have my hair cut any more and gave her a decent tip.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
> As far as the Balding, I am right there with you. I am losing my
> hair, it is really depressing. I even spend 50$/month on propecia,
> and now I am stuck taking a pill that I am not sure is doing anything > for me. I can't stop taking it, because I am worried that the hair
> loss will accelerate.

> Sal
> Who stares at his himself in front of the mirror from several angles > to guage the extent of the receding hairline, and also has used his
> sony cybershot to examine the damage.

Just FYI, you might consider a supplement called MSM. I first read about it in a newspaper column called The People's Pharmacy. Two different people wrote in at different times telling how they had been taking MSM for joint pain, and experienced an incidental side effect where their hair began to thicken over time.

Since my own hairline had begun to recede (particularly where the natural part is) I began taking MSM (1000 mg 3/day, I get it at WallyWorld for around $9 for a bottle of 90 capsules), and it appears to be working. Not something that is working overnight, but both my doctor and the lady who cuts my hair have noticed both thickening hair (which happened first) and new hair growth in front (much slower, but at this point definitely noticeable).

Caveat, this has been my own experience. YMMV.

Second note, re: graying hair. After beginning a supplement plan based on the one in the book The Perricone Prescription, it seemed to me that my gray (almost white) hair was getting darker. For some time I figured it was simply wishful thinking, but my hairstylist told me it seemed a bit darker to her as well. I did a search on the website of the aforementioned People's Pharmacy, and discovered a mention by a couple of readers who claimed they were experiencing a loss of gray after beginning a dietary program with a heavy emphasis on Omega 3s (I was taking six fish oil capsules a day as part of my supplement program, now taking twelve). My lady friend told me today that at the back of my scalp the hair near the bottom of my hairline is definitely darker. Not that this appears to be breaking any speed records either, understand.

Again, YMMV. All I can attest to are my own limited experiences thus far.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
All these remedies work differently for different people I guess. I am just counting on Marvel to pay for my hair transplantation operation.

Sal
Looking forward to being feautured on the next bosely medical commercial
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
My father-in-law described his receding hairline/baldness as the most painless thing that ever happened to him. The only real cost to him was that he needed a bigger washcloth to wash his larger forehead!

Arch
who is quickly on the way to joining him in the Larger Washcloth Club
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I would be a lot more secure about it if I was already hitched to someone. I wouldn't care once I am married, but I think being bald makes it harder to attract the lovely females.

Just joking, or am I? don't know.

Sal
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Since most of my favorite posters on the Marvel board have written in on this one- I feel the need to include myself.

At 32 I noticed that my hairline was receeding. At 33 my wife noticed- now at 34 I just shave it bald- my wife says it gives me an edge and claims that she loves it. Heck she is the one who keeps it cut- I get my weekly haircutt from her now.

But I have also noticed that the ladies have not been looking at me as much as when I had hair. In fact, hardly at all these days. I'll bet my wife has known this all along and it is no wonder I get my weekly haircutts without her missing a beat.

As for me, it is Saturday night and here I am posting- what happened to my vida loca???

I did see F911 last night- very deeply disturbing movie and worth a viewing.

Best,

Dana
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Dana -

I just read that you saw F/911 and that you were deeply disturbed by it. It is always interesting to see and/or hear information perfectly used out of context and placed into an influential and biased format. It is supposed to be disturbing, just like the gore, blood, and guts put into violent war flicks and B-rated horror films - it's an easy attention getter and it stirs emotions. I personally take the Moores and Chomskys of this world at a very superficial level since their ability to be objective journalists and true contributors to the world has long been lost. They see information in snippets that can be combined into ideas to support their narrow agendas. Yes, he carries a few interesting thoughts, and while on the very surface some of them may hold a level of validity, I think he is the truest form of hypocrisy - he is what he fights. So do not fret (if you actually are fretting at all), we Americans love a good controversy, and conspiracy theories are our favorite bedtime stories, but finding the boogeyman just isn't that easy - he actually tries to hide under our beds instead of in front of Moore's camera. Sadly, the Moores and Chomskys that live the good life in our country are the individuals who improperly represent what our country is and isn't to the rest of the World. These men are the harbingers that validate the mindless misconceptions and insecurities of the few individuals in other countries that want to hate America so they can feel better about their own situations. Here is some interesting reading on another view of the movie, it may help: http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/.

Enjoy -

Pete
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Pete this is off topic of Marvel but I wanted to respond.

Yes Moore does slant things but I was far more disturbed at this current administrations policies at home and abroad- that is what disturbed me. I recognized that much of what was in the movie I already knew from alternative press: BBC, NPR etc.... but watching it on the big screen was hard to stomach.

"the few individuals in other countries that want to hate America so they can feel better about their own situations."

Pete, perhaps you have not traveled the world or have been watching too much Fox news network- the majority of the world and its corresponding population hates America and not so they can feel better about their own plight- they hate America because we have had a foreign policy that is consistantly based on financial self-interest (Greed) at the expense of basic human rights, integrity and dignity. A very narrow and short term approach that will eventually lead to self-destruction. Imagine a corporation that consistently puts profits ahead of integrity or people-what would happen to that corporation over time if they didn't strike a balance between humanity and profits?

Thank God for the Moores and Chompskys of this world- their voices are few but their biased agendas help to balance out the many more biased agendas on the other side.

Since you mentioned objective journalists: when was the last time you heard an objective journalist. They work for corporations now and they want to keep their jobs and move up the chain- so they don't report the whole story or ask the tough questions. Bush and his administration, in my very biased thinking, is a national disgrace and the Karma from their crimes against humanity- particularly what they have done to our own military men and women- will be wrought for many years after he is defeated in 2004.

Are you a Marvel investor or did you just decide to respond to my post to give me your point of view? I decided to give you my point of view back.

Mvl Long 6000 shares.

Dana
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Dana -

Yes my friend, I am a MVL stock holder (and on the long side too). I appreciate and respect your views and the various views of my fellow country men/women on this board. They are always welcome and accepted. And to clarify, I also have traveled the world, actually, I have been living and working in Australia for the last year. In fact, I have not only been to every State in America (except Alaska), but all of Europe, Greece, Bosnia, Albania, Macedonia, most Pacific Island countries, many Asian countries, Africa, spent over a year in the Middle East (many countries), Central and South America, Canada… and I could on. I have been fortunate enough to be involved with various types of individuals during those travels, from diplomats (U.S. and host country) to beggars, all in a multitude of situations and environments. I enjoy talking to them so I can find out about their thoughts and opinions of America and their homeland. It's important to me to see things from their eyes so I can discuss the pros and cons of our and their societies. How else will you find out the truth? Like you so eloquently pointed out, not in the biased media. Maybe that is something to think about, you assumed I was not traveled and ill informed because I may watch one source of information, but in reality my information is gathered from experiences in the World, not NPR, BBC, or Moore.

You are right though, there are problems in our society - but they have been there for a long time (as you pointed out). The fortunate (and unfortunate) thing is that the same problems exist in every country, just in different shapes, sizes, and contexts. As for America's foreign policy and human rights blunders, rest assured, we surely do not have the market cornered on international missteps - past, present, or future (trust me, if you have seen the things I have you may not be so horrified by Moore's movie). As for your thought, " they hate America because we have had a foreign policy that is consistently based on financial self-interest (Greed) at the expense of basic human rights, integrity and dignity," well, I guess you are so heavily invested in MVL just so you can send all your profits overseas in an attempt to balance out Bush's (and Clinton's, and Carter's, and Reagan's, etc… ) Karma. If you are, you are truly a great human, if not, well… money in your pocket still feels nice, doesn't it? Every country and every person has an agenda, and at different times that agenda shifts - greed is one that I feel everyone shares. To be sure, everyone wants something more than what they have.

Again, you are right that this discussion is off topic, but so was the balding thread, and the initial mention of the movie in the first place. As long as we aren't talking about why MVL suddenly dropped to $.05, I like to read the thoughts, banter, and comments from everyone (good and bad). I just brought out some thoughts about an idea posted in your discussion, the same way I do with my friends, the same way they do with me. You see, I have an interesting group of close friends - lawyer, banker, business owner, adult film producer, social worker, public health worker, doctor, a guy that's proud that he hasn't worked for over 8 years, a dope smoker that studies philosophy and the evils of the "man" as a hobby, an electrician, military, teachers, firefighter, and policeman. These people, along with my wife are my life's sounding board. We discuss everything when we are together and anything is fair game. The beauty of it all is that in every discussion, at least one or more of us is the devil, but all of us are advocating something. That is what I love about my American life - the various thoughts all clashing in one big discussion to find the common ground. And as long as there are all points of view represented, then it's a good, rounded, and fruitful discussion.

Ok, last bit. Back to MVL. I used to be an avid comic book reader when I was younger. In fact, I had a serious collection including these highlights: X-men 1-100, Spidey 8-60, Hulk 3+, Fantastic Four 5+, Punisher 1+, etc… (over 3000). I know and appreciated the art-form, the business, and the characters. I, and the dope-smoking philosopher, used to collect avidly and we were meticulous and passionate about our investments (just like many others on this board). We knew the artists, the story-lines, and the culture. So, I do like to hear the ins and outs about our stock. Unfortunately, my collection, which would be worth a mint now, was sold by my drug-crazed sister while I was in the Gulf War. Oops, didn't I mention that I am military (long, 17 years now)? I have dedicated 16 years to the Special Forces and I have truly put my life on the line for our country. I have also personally protected diplomats and Presidents, spent countless hours in hard and unforgiving environments, and I have sacrificed and gained plenty doing it. I'll tell you with all honesty, that I and the people I work with are more proud to serve with the Bush administration than Clinton's. So, I can't agree with your comment, "Bush and his administration, is a national disgrace and the Karma from their crimes against humanity- particularly what they have done to our own military men and women- will be wrought for many years after he is defeated in 2004," because again, I see the situation from the reality, not the media hype. The majority of service people are proud of what they do and they are proud our Nation, but the media likes to focus on the few who make off color statements to create a situation that isn't the reality - why, because it evokes emotion and controversy. And, like Moore, they know that sells. I can guarantee you; the information about Iraq you get is very tainted and lacking truth. It's always good to balance those information sources. It's too easy to turn out like my buddy, scared to really stand up because he might get killed by the man for being a freedom fighter because he only reads one side of the isle.

Thank you for your poignant response. It has given me a few minutes of enjoyment discussing things. I would like to see more thoughts that are interesting from you in the future. I'm sure there's more to your opinions than what I interpreted form your response. Usually, these types of discussions have too many sides and angles that can't be expounded properly in this format - unlike our balding scalps!

By the way, did you read the article I pasted? It was interesting.

Watching for more -

Pete
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
F911 Was the best docummentary I have ever seen. No way am I going to convince you of that, and no way are you going to convince that the actual footage of bush being an idiot on screen was CGI.

As bush said
"Fool me once, shame on... huh huh..."

Sal
Who voted for bush and lived to regret it.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hhmm, thats an interesting article coming from Slate. Everything I've ever read there before has been so far left and liberal it would make Phil Donohue look Republican. (not that thats necessarily always a bad thing) I figured they would have made Michael Moore their new patron saint after this one.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
>Hhmm, thats an interesting article coming from Slate. Everything I've ever read there before has been so far left and liberal it would make Phil Donohue look Republican. (not that thats necessarily always a bad thing) I figured they would have made Michael Moore their new patron saint after this one.<


Agreed about the slate article. That is why I take Moore with a grain of salt, because that isn't the first information I have seen coming from the far left that strongly rebutts his views.

As for old Bush acting like an idiot, well, I haven't met anyone that hasn't acted like an idiot before. Add the world's cameras and agendas into the mix and there would be no way anyone would be able to escape a movie that made them look evil or stupid. I guess a president that uses cigars as intern pokers is OK because he did it "just because he could." Or maybe Gore trying to pretend he is a family man and a nice, regular guy on home video in an attempt to look real to the public, yet those close to him that saw his real actions know the truth. Yep, in my opinion, in the right light and context, everyone is evil, stupid, and out for world domination.

Hey, Moore is a good film maker. He is effective, and not !00% off base, but not nearly on base either. He should do one for MVL. Maybe Punisher 2, he could be after the evil Bush administration and wipe out the whole system. Then a brand new President, who would be sooooooo much better, would step in join the two parties into one big happy family that isn't blinded by their own agendas and change everything. Happy ending.

Pete
Print the post Back To Top