Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank Ira and TMFPMarti:

If she lives in CA, everything she earns everywhere will always be taxed in CA. That portion of her income which she earns while present in another state will also be taxed by that state. Generally, but not always, either CA or the other state will allow a credit for taxes paid to the other state on the same income.

She does have a CPA doing her taxes but I have always wondered about her situation. She ends up with 3-5 1099's and 15-25 W-2's, and a file box full of receipts, and ends up with 3-5 State tax returns. Mostly to get refunds, but as you stated, NY always manages to get there cut.
Thanks again,
Senior Citizen
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.