Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
Thank you Acme. The past 28 hours have been completely surreal. Even 6 years removed from the campus, I feel blessed that no one I know was on the list of the fallen. Of course, at the same time, this feeling fills me with a sense of guilt to go along with the utter sorrow I feel for the people behind those names and their family and friends.

It is unbelievable to see and hear recounts of the scenes of carnage that took place on the grounds of the only place that I still call home. You always hear people say, "Never thought it could happen here". Well, Virginia Tech is the epitome of that sentiment. When I head "home" this weekend it will be with a heavy heart and likely with no plan. My wife and I simply feel a "pull" to head home and be with our fellow Hokies.

I hope I can speak on behalf of the Virginia Tech Fool community in thanking those from other schools, states and even countries for the amazing flood of support that has been directed toward the Virginia Tech family. It's sad that it often takes a tragedy to show that unbelievable amounts of humanity still exist in this world, but rest assured, it is there, waiting to be revealed when it is most needed. Some of the best support, has of course come from those at UVA and other rivals, which in itself is heartwarming at a time like this. I don't purport to be on the pulse of the University, but the outpouring of emotional support from these institutions as well as those across the country and halfway around the world has been absolutely critical.

I can't imagine where the community goes from here other than to grieve until it feels right, then pick up and move on. I wholeheartedly believe that being a Hokie has always brought with it a strong sense of family and cohesiveness that is hard to crack. Yesterday's events, ensued by the media, political, and idealogical crush have done their best to do just that, but I have faith that we will bounce back stronger than ever. It will not be easy. It will take time. It may get worse before it gets better...but we will do it.

Ut Prosim,
Kevin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.