Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you aj485 ND IRASMILO for your reply. After reviewing the tax treaty between the US and Norway I do not find any help. It just state that pensions paid by the Norway is not taxable in the US. After Reviewing various US Tax information I find only the following, which I think answer my question: Deduction for foreign Income Taxes. "You can deduct only foreign income taxes paid on income that is subject to US tax." The question is: Can an old Age pension be considered income in this connection?
I read this to say that if my pension is not subject to US taxes, then the taxes paid to Norway can not be used to claim a deduction from the US. Please let me know if you do not agree with my interpretation.
Thank you very much for your assistance.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.