Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 34
Thank you all for the kudos here and off-board and thanks for the book recommendations (BwyDan & TMFJebbo)!

Yes it was a lot of work but the most frustrating thing was a two hour power outage just as I was in the middle of reviewing and editing my draft. By the time the power came back on it was midnight, I was too tired and did not review or edit the “Indian-Burmese Expansion” and what followed.

@nilvest,
Agree that most analysts don’t know the companies well. The only reports I trust are from Credit Suisse. However, they will stop coverage if their lead analyst leaves, as happened with Square and PayPal.

Briefly, here is how I work. I have an outline of a possible post in my head weeks or months before posting. I make files with sub-files on all the stocks I own or consider as potential purchase. I read a lot, collect all pertinent information for each stock and often take mental or physical notes over the course of weeks or months. The reference list has existed for at least two months, just the sequence was adjusted as I typed up the report. I can’t give a time frame. I rarely have the time to write it all in one sitting.

@BroadwayDan,
Thanks for your eloquent response and tooting the horn for Jeff Green. No, I am not passionate about Jack Dorsey, I just felt facts went by the wayside, Square’s growth is still higher than that of TTD-at least this last quarter, and Jack was often unfairly treated by the media and here on the boards (I’ve got this hangup about fairness).

Yes, professor Damodaran is a gem. I used to read him regularly when my port was more conservatively invested, now I still do so sporadically. Can’t beat the clarity of his thoughts and prose.

@PoorBloke,
Since I did not review and edit the last sections of my post, let me clarify why I think Dorsey may contemplate expanding Square services also to Burma:

1. To keep up the high Square growth rate, Square will have to further expand internationally and Asia is the future.

2. From my studying Dorsey & Square, I believe Jack does nothing without specific purpose.

33. Jack Dorsey went to India and Burma, two Asian countries with the fastest growing percent increase in GDP per capita, over 7% and 8.9%, respectively.

4. After his 10-day silent meditation in a monastery near Mandalay where he was cut-off from the world and could not travel, he tweeted that ”we" visited Yangon, Mandalay, and Bagan. This strongly suggests that he and his entourage traveled through Burma and checked out the lay of the land.

5. It was obvious when I visited Burma, that the Burmese disliked and distrusted the Chinese. Burma shares a long border with China and when I visited, there were border problems and accusations the Chinese had something to do with the disappearance of young Burmese women (they practiced female infanticide for decades resulting in a shortage of young women) and the continual flare-ups of insurgencies and counter-insurgencies. If these anti-Chinese sentiments still exists today, US-headquartered Square would have a better chance than any of the Chinese FinTechs.

Since Dorsey is also CEO of Twitter with an Indian subsidiary, Twitter Communications India Private LTD, Exhibit 21.1 of the last TWTR 10k, he and his staff would definitely be aware of current or planned Indian regulations. As Texmex points out, competitors would likewise be affected.

I. M.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.