No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you all so much for the advice!!!!!!

patrick51 said:
>I am in a similar situation in that my industry is in decline with >more layoffs/firings coming. An important issue you didn't mention is >severance pay. Likely if you leave on your own you forfeit this. Also >you didn't mention if you like your current job- just that the state >job could be depressing. If severance is involved and your current job >is ok I would wait till they boot you out- that's what I'm doing.

I'm sorry to hear that! [Telecom, by any chance?]

Re: severence - seems very uncertain. I should be entitled to 11-12 weeks severence if laid off. If the company goes under, however, there is a better than even chance that I won't get anything. A friend of mine who was with Eastern Airlines when they cratered didn't even get her last paycheck - much less her severence. And her pension money is still tied up (she told me) - not that she's close to retirement.

I do like my current job when times are mediocre - good. When times are terrible at a company, though, it's hard to like any job a whole lot.

Also - this state position is likely (if I get it) to be an awful lot better than the position (and the agency) I had several years back.

I am still pursuing it and will see what happens. If they offer me the job, I will very seriously consider taking it, even with the paycut, the required move, etc. Working for a state agency might be the best place to sort of wait out the miserable telecom slump (while learning some new things, meeting new people . . .)

So - wish me luck!

Thanks again to everyone.

Best wishes,
MitsouR
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.