No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you both. I am going to use a manager for the first year as I am not intimate with the tenant/landlord laws in this state and have my own move to make. I also need to build a contact list for some professional services I am not excellent at, like plumbing, electric, HVAC issues.

The first manager I talked to is surprisingly reasonable. The areas we've lived in before were at least 1 month rent to find the tenant and 10% of gross rent. Here it's 1/2 month and 8%. Curious to see what the next guy offers. What do your guys charge? We are in a huge rental market and there are lots of managers competing for our business, lots of tenants competing for a not insignificant number of rentals.

Inspections on our new home should be done by Monday and I will place our current house on the market after that. Not the best time to place a rental on the market, (University location,) but any losses we take this year will allow a larger Roth conversion by minimizing our 2019 income.

Funny hearing about the old school forwarding of checks. Even 20 years ago we had people depositing their rent/mortgage payments, (held a private mortgage for a house we sold,) directly to our account, and our college student Venmo's his rent to his landlord's account.

Mark, one of these days we have to get together. We go right past your town on the way to our cabin, and are only an hour away from either place.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.