No. of Recommendations: 3

Thank you.

((btw - I've heard that said all my life .. "a car accident is MUCH more likely to happen than a plane crash". The implication being that the plane is safer travel than the car. But everyone I've ever talked with about that is very clear that they would MUCH rather be in a car accident .. at the end of that you are still sitting there on the ground .. in a plane crash your chance of survival of the impact is a WHOLE different story. (not to mention the agonizing drop-period during which you get the joy of contemplating your immanent mangles death about which you can do absolutely nothing to avoid).

In other words, one involves hitting something else but remaining grounded - the other involves an agonizing fall and a degree of impact that is very seldom survivable. I'll bet that pretty much everyone on this board has at some point suffered a car accident .. one hears about detouring to avoid them, on the radio, nearly daily! But I'll bet there's no one here who has suffered a plane crash .. they wouldn't have survived to tell the story. So I've never really understood that comparison.))

You are horribly wrong. There have been a lot of survivors from plane crashes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-45030345

But when the US National Transportation Safety Board did a review of national aviation accidents from 1983-1999, it found that more than 95% of aircraft occupants survived accidents, including 55% in the most serious incidents.

A simply online search would show the odds of dying in an airplane crash is extremely rare.

If you have a fear of flying that is your issue but propagating myths is just stupid.

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.