No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you for the great post, TMFDarwood!

What's your youtube channel? I'd like to check it out?

My husband talks about the RV life and traveling... I'm less certain of it, we have lived in our house almost 20 years and made a nice life where we are. We have a full house right now with 3 growing kids and so this is sort of maximum capacity life, downsizing comes later. I'm sure it will be here sooner than expected!

Karen
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks for a very well thought out posting. Yes, this is all part of planning for a good retirement. And yes, health insurance costs tend to rise after age 60, until you get to 65 and Medicare (but who know about the future of Medicare). Costs will rise and premiums charged to those with resources are likely to go up one way or another. Health insurance cost was the big surprise in my retirement.

On RVs, they say used ones are difficult to sell. You have to find the right buyer. So buying used is attractive. And a low bid offer might be accepted. The alternative is donation to charity. And what happens then? It goes on a used RV lot and waits for a buyer. No cost basis. Get whatever you can for it. Cash is king.
No. of Recommendations: 3
<<With the purchase of the small RV we began expanding the searches we had begun in 2001. We’ve physically explored portions of CA, OR, WA, CT, NY, VA, SC, FL, MI, WI, IL, IA, LA, MO, TX, CO, WY, UT, NV, OK, NM, AZ, AK, IN, KY, etc. We have also researched nearly all of the states and even a few overseas locations.
>>

This sounds like a full time job, not retirement.

Eventually, most people discover they don't have to be ***busy*** all the time. That's when retirement actually begins, in my experience.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 7

Eventually, most people discover they don't have to be ***busy*** all the time. That's when retirement actually begins, in my experience.

I don't know. It beats hunting parades to rain on.

Karen
No. of Recommendations: 4

OK, but I'd say that is stage 2 of retirement. Most of us do begin with a list of things we never had time to do while we were working. Retirement gives you the time and ideally the resources to chase some of those dreams. Go for it. Its your retirement. Enjoy it while you can. And while you are young enough to still do some of them.

Later there will be plenty of time to rest in the easy chair.

Either way is ok with me.
No. of Recommendations: 5

When my husband retired five years ago he had been working 12 hour days in financial services in New York.
He quit his job at the age of 65 1/2 because another layoff was looming and it gave someone younger the opportunity to hold onto their own job.
My kids wondered how Pop would do in retirement and he has done just fine.
We got a dog almost three years ago and he is a joy. We take him to the park or beach every day. He meets other dogs and we meet other people.
Husband just became president of our little association and he is keeping busy with the so called budget. He has an MBA in Finance and now does worksheets for the budget that is mostly made up of lawn service and snow plow expenditures.
We are happy and content and better off financially than we were living in NY.
My daughter and grandkids live close by which is a big plus. We get to see them grow up instead of only seeing them 3 times a year.
Our biggest downsizing came from selling our co-op apartment in Brooklyn Heights and buying a small house in this coastal MA town. Food is also much cheaper here.
We have gas heat for the very first time in our lives and it has proven to be ridiculously inexpensive compared to oil heat.
Our kids give us tickets to theatre in Boston if we choose to go so we are not missing much.
There is a very decent restaurant in town and the pizza is not too bad either considering that we've eaten pizza at three of the top pizza joints in the country (all located in Brooklyn and Manhattan).
My husband does not miss working 12 hour days. That's for sure!
All in all, we have much less stress and downsizing did not put a dent into our lifestyle.
"<<With the purchase of the small RV we began expanding the searches we had begun in 2001. We’ve physically explored portions of CA, OR, WA, CT, NY, VA, SC, FL, MI, WI, IL, IA, LA, MO, TX, CO, WY, UT, NV, OK, NM, AZ, AK, IN, KY, etc. We have also researched nearly all of the states and even a few overseas locations.
>>

Seattle Pioneer "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Travel can be a whole lot of fun.

But I would worry about taking the RV on a road trip to Hawaii.

Howie52
Pontoons are best used on a rather tranquil lake.
Kinda like ice fishing.
"<<With the purchase of the small RV we began expanding the searches we had begun in 2001. We’ve physically explored portions of CA, OR, WA, CT, NY, VA, SC, FL, MI, WI, IL, IA, LA, MO, TX, CO, WY, UT, NV, OK, NM, AZ, AK, IN, KY, etc. We have also researched nearly all of the states and even a few overseas locations.
>>

Seattle Pioneer "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Travel can be a whole lot of fun.

But I would worry about taking the RV on a road trip to Hawaii.

Howie52
Pontoons are best used on a rather tranquil lake.
Kinda like ice fishing.

Hawaii (HI) is not listed!

They should still go there, though--Hawaii is so beautiful!

Karen
No. of Recommendations: 2
"Hawaii (HI) is not listed!

They should still go there, though--Hawaii is so beautiful!

Karen "

The OP has discussed Hawaii - and stream of consciousness tends to take
me from one paragraph to another watching the scenery flying by.
Happy Fooliversary, Seattle Pioneer!
Thank you for the great post, TMFDarwood!

What's your youtube channel? I'd like to check it out?

My husband talks about the RV life and traveling... I'm less certain of it, we have lived in our house almost 20 years and made a nice life where we are. We have a full house right now with 3 growing kids and so this is sort of maximum capacity life, downsizing comes later. I'm sure it will be here sooner than expected!

Karen