No. of Recommendations: 3
Thank you for the kind words, Wastlib! I have always enjoyed entertaining and encouraging folks who are in the midst of adversity. I appreciate you giving me the opportunity. I think your idea to use the savings bonds as your emergency fund is reasonable, but only if you are able to convince yourself to use them in that emergency. If you reach for the credit card instead, then you will need to figure out another option.

So let's see, you said you are barely treading water. Good! That's far better than being underwater. From where you are, you can make progress, and in fact you already have. You paid off something like $800 on one of your 17% credit cards. (I know, I'm not doing precise math.) So that means that you will have $136 more this year than last year, at a minimum. Excellent! That's a start you can build on.

Now, the next question for you to think about. You have a job and a side hustle, right? Can you get any additional income from the job, or uptick on the income flowing from the side hustle? And let me do this pointedly. Can you do those things WITHOUT putting in extra time? I realize that may seem counterintuitive. But thinking about it that way will force you to think about both more income and more efficient income.

ThyPeace, also, who else in the household is contributing income these days?
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.