Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you for your reply. I read the information the IRS provides on the site you recommended and have the following question: Let's say that X is the amount of money which constitutes more than half of her annual income. If I pay her more than X - say an amount Y (with Y > X), do I get a larger tax break for giving her amount Y instead of only amount X? My husband and I pay approx. 30% of our income in taxes. What I would like to determine is how much of a deduction we get for giving my mother X, vs. giving her amount Y (maybe formulated as a percentage).

Thank you,
Agnetha Faltskog
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.