Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you. I sure wish I had noted the date before posted this message. I had already filed my return, and wasn't even thinking about the filing deadline. I hope I didn't distract anybody from more urgent questions. (And I apologize if I did.)

My question was only about filling out the W-4 for a new job.

I do file MFJ, and my wife does earn more than $1500, but not much more (under $10K). All four of my kids will still be younger than 17 on Dec. 31, 2019.

Complicating matters is that I'm about to start a new job with higher earnings. Also, my wife is self-employed, so no W-4 for her.

Much as I don't like giving an interest free loan to the government, I like it better than getting a whopping tax bill when I file my tax return.

So I'll follow your advice and use 3 instead of 4.

(I tried the withholding calculator, which suggested I use 28 allowances and my wife use 0 allowances. Not gonna happen!)

Thanks again!
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.