Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks AJ and all..

when you say 'line 8a', I am assuming that (1) you are talking line 8a of Schedule A, and (2) that you itemized deductions, even without this interest

Yes....

The TCJA substantially limited deductibility for interest on equity loans

bummer, my luck...

What did you do with the money that you borrowed? Unless you used it to make improvements to the home that is collateral for the equity loan, it's not deductible.

Borrowed the money to build my current home... the home that the loan was borrowed against is now sold and the loan is paid off....

So.... I guess you're telling me that even if I amend the return, the interest on the home equity line isn't really deductible..ie - was used to build a new home and not to improve the old one...

As it turns out, I don't remember claiming the proceeds from the home sell, so I guess I probably need to amend the return to address the home sell....

Thanks again to all.... but certainly let me know if you think I need to keep looking into the 1098 issue... ie:consider amending the return..

AND... doing something about reporting the proceeds from the original home sell (was the first home I've ever sold and all the proceeds, plus a bunch) went into the construction of my new/current home...

Mick
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.