Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks AJ,

That makes sense. I guess I didn't give the full info on the backdoor conversions I do. I don't convert any of my pre-tax 401k money, I just put $5500 in a Traditional, let the cash settle and the convert it to the Roth. This is completely separate from my 401k. What I learned last night in talking with Fidelity, I have the option after I reach my $18k limit to continue to make after-tax contributions up to the $53k allowed (minus employer contributions) and then roll my AFTER TAX contributions into a Roth. Apparently, the plan allows me to completely roll it out of Fidelity to my personal broker where I pay $0 commissions. It's a nice option I have!

The question will remain and really has no answer it seems. Whether or not contribute pre or post tax to my 401k. I think what makes sense for me in a couple of years once I start dipping into that 33% bracket is to start making those pre-tax contributions to help keep me out of that. That seems like my only respite from lowering my AGI in the immediate term.

On the post-tax front
I'll also make 529 contributions, I'll continue to do the backdoor Roth for my wife and I and I'll roll my post-tax 401k contributions to a Roth as well.

This seems like a good mix as it will allow me immediate tax benefits right now and then I'll also have a tax free bucket of money to withdraw from during retirement as well. Some people have said having both types of accounts to draw from is a good idea, not sure why exactly, but it looks like I can set myself up in that way going forward.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.