Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks, AJ --

You should have also received a 1099 from the brokerage administering the employee stock account that documents the sale of the stocks. You still need to report that sale on your 8949 and/or Schedule D, but since the stocks were granted at fair market value (which was already taxed as ordinary income based on your W-2), and should have also been sold at the same fair market value, it shouldn't be a capital gain. In fact, you generally have a small capital loss, due to the SEC fees, and any other commissions or other fees paid.

Your explanation is consistent with what I had been able to find searching on my own. Unfortunately, the RSU transaction was not reported on the 1099 I received from that broker, nor is it represented in the online version of my 1099.

I've put a "placeholder" entry to represent what should have been reported on the 1099 in my copy of TurboTax, and it looks like I get the "joy" of navigating customer service to try to figure out where the missing form went.

Discovery/HR Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.