Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks all for the replies.

Yes, I realize that I could take that money out at any time and pay that 10% penalty, but my preference is to not have to pay a penalty for the privilege of accessing my money for a different expense, plus I like the flexibility that I have by not having the money in something earmarked for college only.

I don't know what the OP thinks about using that money for other relatives, and it is good that you have pointed out that you can just change the beneficiary to another relative. For me, I don't consider myself responsible for paying anyone else's college expenses than my own children, and if the money is not used for that, I prefer to reallocate it to something else such as my retirement or the kids' weddings or helping them out with house down payments or other large expense.

This sums up my notions pretty succinctly. LIke I mentioned earlier, the money is a gift that would both educate and aid in the fulfilling of my nephew's (or his brothers' / sisters') future dreams, be that college, starting his own business, etc...

Also what I failed to mention, is that I'd like for any of my family members to contribute to this account as well. As children, my sister and I received bonds from our grandparents for our birthdays until we were 16. When these matured they were a nice gift. This is the same idea with the added bonus of more education and (hopefully) a better return.

As always, thanks for the knowledge.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.