Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks Alstroemeria! It's late now but I will listen tomorrow ( after mammogram and other crappy things)

Growing up we had many languages around us, as my mother and grandmother spoke Dutch to each other all the time, then French when they didn't want us to understand...but as we all learned French from 12 years old, that became no use. I was one of five children. Then Mum always opened our home to refugee families so there were other languages around for many years, whenever a new family came to live with us.

BUT...all 5 of us wanted to be like all the other New Zealanders at school, so we never wanted to speak anything but English. Kids don't like to seem "different'.

From the time she was little, Mum had had an English nanny, a French personal maid, and spoke Dutch daily as she grew up in Holland, so she spoke all three languages perfectly. For instance, later, when she was helping register me in a University course of French for foreigners in Tours, France, the registrar kept repeating, at first puzzled, and then very annoyed "But this course is for foreigners, Madame!" He didn't realize Mum wasn't French! And English speaking people thought she was English....

I have forgotten most of the Beginner's Mandarin I learned from a terrific Professor in Memphis,( and nearly all of the writing) but when Covid is over I'll go back to class here ...I love it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.