Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 17
Thanks, Diana, I'll have to see if The Color of Magic is one of the titles. I'll have to look for it.

Just a short story about how you and Andy impacted my life.

DH and I went to Portland (350 miles) to pick up a used motor home. On the way home, about 20 miles from home at midnight an Elk ran in front of my 1993 Pontiac Grand Am. I called DH on the cell. He was ahead of me in the motor home and didn't see the crash. He came back, the car would start and sounded ok, so he said try and drive it home. We made it home but the car was really totalled. Unfortunately the last time I got insurance I said liability only instead of no collusion so didn't have comprehensive so no insurance payment. It wouldn't have been very much anyway.

I have a 1981 VW rabbit, so I started driving it. I didn't have any blue yarn so went to the nearest place (30 miles) to buy some. (I needed some other stuff anyway) The VW started smoking in the front. I had had enough! My kid had bought a Toyota last year...so I went to the dealer and ended up with a new car. DH went a picked up the VW later that day.

I was feeling a little guilty about the new car purchase. Then read your post about not being a fix-it person. I'm a fix-it person for some stuff, but not cars. DH is a mechanic, but getting on in years. I'm 20+ years older than you and he is older than me. Also, new cars are not easy to work on with all the compter stuff. Our kid lives about 5 hours away...I need/want a vehicle to go see them and not have to worry about breaking down. I now feel a lot better about my purchase.

Yesterday, I had to take the car in to get a coating on it and some mud flaps installed. While I was waiting I went to the bookstore and picked up the Pratchett books, they were sitting on a box and jumped out at me. I enjoy reading yours and Andy's posts, I liked his sense of humor and thoughtfulness that came across in his posts. I remembered he like Pratchett.

I don't think I'll be able to drive my car without thinking of the two of you and the other people on this board that have had an impact on my life. This is one board I have felt I could post on without getting put down. Thanks, Imp.

I don't post often and didn't know what to say before...I hope my little story helps you know that you and Andy are in my thoughts and probably in the thoughts of others. We are thinking about you and wishing you the best.

Jean
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.