No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks everyone for you comments so far. Can anyone explain to me what it means for these plans to be offered as a group annunity? How is it different from other 401k programs where I invest directly into whichever funds are offered through that provider? Ok, I just found this in the foot notes, "These investments options may be sub-accounts (pooled funds) investing in underlying mutual funds." I take that to mean that JH is creating their own "funds" by mixing or matching one or more existing funds? Basically just adding another layer of management, fees and confusion to the average joe blow investor? I think the term annuity is scaring me as I've read everyone says to avoid them.

DeltaOne81 - I can't say that I am happy with the index funds that are offered but then again, I'm not sure how to pick a good one. None seem to have decent fees or returns.

I listed the ones offered (below.) They show YTD, 1,3,5,10yr, AIC, MS category and Average Expense Ratio. Sorry, I can keep your Unix system running but I can't for the life of me format this message.

500 Index Fund 27 6 ## MFC Global Investment Mgmt 1.54 11.95 11.40 -3.27 9.14 0.62 MORNINGSTAR LARGE BLEND 1.21
Intl Equity Index Fund ## 51 29 SSgA FM 6.66 25.98 19.47 2.13 5.39 0.68 MORNINGSTAR FOREIGN LARGE BLEND 1.64
Mid Cap Index Fund ## 29 MFC Global Investment Mgmt 7.86 24.31 17.74 6.12 - 0.57 MORNINGSTAR MID-CAP BLEND 1.42
Small Cap Index Fund ## 29 MFC Global Investment Mgmt 2.69 22.28 19.87 4.80 - 0.57 MORNINGSTAR SMALL BLEND 1.48
Total Stock Market Index Fund ## 29 MFC Global Investment Mgmt 2.77 14.93 13.23 -2.05 - 0.57 MORNINGSTAR LARGE BLEND 1.21

There are also choices based on managed funds such as Vanguard, Fidelty, and American Funds but with much higher fees.

Stan002 - you are correct, with only being contract I should probably just pick the lesser of given evils and plan to move it into my rollover IRA when the job is over. Don't have a good time frame on that.

Buzzman - my intention is to fully fund the ROTH first, but I still would like to find a way to hold Uncle Sam at bay. Having no deductions, (the won't credit my 4 footed ones) I really pay through the nose. About 5 years ago I went the route of a financial advisor through American Express (now AMERIPRISE) who I now know is commissioned based but oh, well - we learn from our mistakes. Which is why I'm here now at the MF boards trying to gain control of my money. My rollover IRA is still with Ameriprise and I have spent the last few months reading through the boards trying to get an understanding of what to do with it as fees and poor performance are eating away at the bottom line. I truely believe I can manage my own finances better. Right now I'm just trying to get enough information to build a good foundation and get started in the right direction.

Thanks again,
Miniwoos
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.