Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Thanks everyone, I've resolved the situation.

It turns out the CPA (I said he was my CPA, technically he is my Dad's and this was my first interaction with him) hadn't done a 72t for three years. At that time Schwab would code a 1099-R with a '2' upon request. After a couple phone calls to Schwab it turns out that's no longer the case.

The answer the CPA subsequently provided, along with a profuse apology, was to use Form 5329 also mentioned here. He provided recommendations on calculating withdrawal amounts, or backing into a specific amount by creating a new account.

As for the tax piece, he said withholding at the withdrawal or estimated payments were the way to go to avoid any interest penalties, although he said the interest penalties were minor.

Again, thanks to the all the knowledgeable and willing folks here. My life is forever better from being part of the Foolish community.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.