Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks Everyone! It's great to hear all of you responses. It's so fascinating how (at least for me) the selling of stock is so much more complicated than the buying. I feel very comfortable buying stock, I've been buying in thirds and feeling like this provides me with as decent a margin of safety as is possible, as well as gives me an incentive to learn more about a company and simply get more comfortable with understanding the stock price fluctuations and general value of a company.

Selling, however, is an entirely different ballgame. When people sell in this community are they selling in thirds as well? Seems like a reasonable idea. More often than not when I have sold, it has been to dump all shares of a company that has had some very bad news or because I do not believe in the company any more. I have rarely sold to “lock in” profits. This seems to be more of trader mentality, but also seems rather prudent if you have had a nice run up. I know you want to let your winners run, but the flip side is also a bit devastating: had I sold a half or a third of my position in Cantel Medical I would have been a happier camper right now. I guess I am struggling with “when” and “if” to sell a stock that is doing well. Luxury problem perhaps, but also an important one if I am to manage my finances better. I think some of it comes down to style and what you feel comfortable with, but developing a strategy that YOU STICK TOO seems important! I have had good gains in a stock and told my self to sell a little, only to hold the stock, watch it fall in price, watch it come back in price and not sell again!

I've heard the argument be made for NEVER selling and just letting your winners run and building up a nice portfolio over 20/30 years but I have yet to wrap my mind around that one: wont you need that money at some point, even if that point is retirement? Or is the idea that you develop this portfolio and use it to leverage other financial matters?

These are the foolish bits of grey matter in my head this morning.

That said, I have not sold any CNXS yet!

--beaker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.