No. of Recommendations: 12
Well, since my plan to end with a meaningful last post (see http://boards.fool.com/1128/farewell-the-night-homer-came-do... ) has been blown to smithereens, I do want to take a minute and thank Bill, Tim, Nathan, and Nate – an incredible group of thinkers, writers and people -- as well as Cog (is there a smarter person on the planet?), the other home advisors, and the great community – KidChicago, Anuragupta, and many others – for their contributions to an excellent GG experience.

I am truly saddened by this cancellation – feeling the pressure of various things, I had canceled all my other subscriptions (one sort of accidentally – the type of thing that happens regularly as one gets older), but decided to keep GG. Why? Because every month, I would spend some time sitting in a café in Indonesia, or trudging through a field in China, or dealing with pension plans in Chile – I would be transported to exotic places and exposed to interesting ideas, sometimes very adventurous (YONG, anyone?), sometimes staid and settled (Hello Unilever).

And, there was no pressure – no need to act fast before prices were driven up; we were exposed to ideas, discussed them, took the time to get to know them, and could act on them when the time seemed right.

More than any other MF service, IMO, this service supplied an essential need – the need to move into the 21st century and diversify globally. And it did so pleasantly and very honestly.

Now much of the body of knowledge that each of us has developed will be wasted, and that is unfortunate. But the experience was a very good one, and the advisors and community members had nothing to do with the cancellation. They deserve great praise, and many thanks.

As for the cancellation itself, I do not blame MF, which I think has acted fairly and ethically. But, as others have noted, my thinking has undergone a drastic change with respect to investment advisory services. In the future, when I am ready to return to more active investing, I will think carefully about where I spend my time. Morningstar’s basic premium service will almost certainly be around as long as I am – can the same be said for any MF service? Maybe SA, but maybe not – who knows where things are headed in light of all the changes?

So I will ride the GG train to its ultimate destination, but will not transfer to the MDP rickshaw; instead, I will take a good long break from active investing while I deal with other things. Eventually, I will look with fresh eyes at next steps, and decide what to do.

For now, let me conclude with a heartfelt thank you to the team and the community.

Best regards,

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.