Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll respond in one message so I don't make this an even longer thread. :)

I bought a can of pumpkin to stir in ... Bananas would probably also work.

Pumpkin sounds interesting...

And, since you mention a typical pie filling, it makes me think about other pie fillings. Cherry pie filling might work better than dried cherries, since I find their gummy-bear texture off-putting.

I've tried bananas, which they do offer us. I like them in a breakfast cereal, but not so much in oatmeal. And they are usually still green. But I've let them ripen at home and then brought them back in a little container after they were cut into slices.

My kids love oatmeal, and put a variety of things on top.

They regularly offer up brown sugar, raisins, and a small pitcher of milk with the oatmeal. Not a big fan of raisins, but the brown sugar has been good from time to time. I prefer butter to the milk.

I've considered a good boysenberry jam. And they do have a nice raspberry syrup, usually for when they offer pancakes, waffles, or french toast.

I like to add chopped pecans to my oatmeal. Dried cherries are good too (but a little on the expensive side).

I was kind of hoping to find a nice crumble with a variety of nuts -- pecans, walnuts, almonds, macadamia, pistachios, etc.. I haven't liked the texture of dried fruit in the mix, but have use thawed out frozen cherries (also expensive).

They do make a wonderful "green" (i.e. pistachio) muffin here, when they make them.

Hmmm. I love almond pastries made with almond paste (similar to a pie filling). I wonder if the almond paste would mix well with the oatmeal, or be a good base for a crumble? Maybe too sweet.

but I cook my oatmeal in apple juice then add cinnamon and walnuts most days.

Do you chop up the walnuts into small pieces, or leave them in larger pieces?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.