Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for all of your responses. I'm starting
to get the idea. I'm still a little confused,

I've owned these funds for the last 10 years since
I was 13 (which makes me 23!!) Let's just
say the paperwork I have on the funds dates
back to about '97. (I have no idea where the
rest is. My parents probably chucked it all).

So my question is - can and will the mutual fund
companies provide the information necessary
in calculating my gain/loss in order for me
to determine the taxes I will owe?

If so, what should I request?

To be honest, I have no idea how much I initially
invested, how the dividends have contributed to
the value of the fund over the course of 10 years,
as well as the taxes I've paid thus far. Is there
a convenient place to look for this type of information?

Obviously these funds have at least gained a little over the course of 10 years, actually they've gained a fair amount.

Where can I get each year's Form 1099 from the fund?
(assuming I don't have them?)

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.