Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks for chiming in Rob!

I still don't think the correlation between the demand/supply and the current prices has been made successfully yet.

You are right about the grades of oil. the last time I looked there wer 200 grades of oil. Recently in India, Reliance industries is making a refinery for treating the world's heavies crude. India is self sufficient in refining. All the crude imported by India is sour crude. There is indeed a great deal of opportunity in improving refineries.

I do know that speculation plays a major role in oil prices. I have an example in a different area. This year the internation prices of wheat doubled and halved within the last 6 months directly coinciding with Indian governments declaration of importing a small quanity of wheat and then deciding against it a few months later. The quantum of wheat import with miniscules compared to the global availability of wheat and yet the impact on the prices was 2 fold.

It tell me one thing. My guess. Most of the supply in the international market is already taken so even a very small increment in need, of the order of 0.1%, is enough to spike the price. If what I say is true than even 1% futures trading has the potential to spike the prices in a big way. I can be wrong.

Anurag
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.