Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for everyone's input. I understand the basic concept of the wash sale but I couldn't connect my basic knowledge with the limited info that appeared on the 1099-B.

It wasn't until I bounced my records against the 1099-B that things became more clear. It took a bit to keep things straight in my head since my trade cost basis differed from my 'tax rule' cost basis, even on some trades with a capital gain (due to loss carry over)

Thank goodness for Quicken/TurboTax. As I filled in the boxes, I would glance at the underlying new tax form to see how things fell out. Yikes!! I might have opted for jail time over trying figure out how to do that manually for 300 round-trip trades.

And most mercifully, last night my brokerage made the 1099-B data available for import to TurboTax. So that section of my return was done in about 15 minutes (I was looking at 15+ hours keying it in by hand)

Thanks,
Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.