Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for interjecting some real life VR management experience, Vaking!

We set up a PayPal account to accept credit card transactions, but the fees are extremely high.

Twice now I've had problems using my credit card through PayPal for a VR rental. I was told it was considered a "high risk transaction," and that they only accepted payments for goods, not services, via credit cards. PayPal insisted that a VR rent payment could only be taken by my setting up a PayPal account that was linked to my checking account. Fat Chance. Both times the VR owner tried to talk sense into PayPal, who rejected their concerns. They had to scramble to find a way to take my credit card, and I give them credit for not suggesting I simply send them a check.

I think that websites like the Homeaway brands taking credit cards for their listed properties will go a long way towards protecting both the owner and the consumer of vacation rentals. (Certainly with their large group, bulk discounts are a no brainer, though I fear HA pocketing much of that and leaving owners footing the bill even further. Hmmm, that IPO for Homeaway is sounding like a better investment all the time.) This way potentially offers owners a more reasonable way to get access to credit card payments, and there are fewer fears about a listing getting hijacked by a scammer, since the money would go through HA. (Yes folks, it is not just Craigslist listings that you need to worry about when it comes to fraud, but more on that later.)

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.