Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Thanks for sharing, James. I understand your most justified sense of annoyance and disdain for the overly aggressive marketing tactics.

I myself don't exactly understand the incongruity between the internal character of the organization that I have come to fondly know over the past 4 years (through my extensive participation including attendance at all annual Duke Street and MDP member events at Fool HQ) and the initial outward-facing style of the marketing arm of the organization -- except to perhaps infer that The Motley Fool marketing professionals must meet with a great deal of success in enticing new members to try the services through the utilization of this ostensibly over-the-top persistent style of advertising.

I guess I am an example of a person who in principle doesn't care for that style of advertising -- yet, somehow, it did lure me into trying my first TMF newsletter/service, Stock Advisor... then a couple more newsletters/services... then the Million Dollar Portfolio... then the TMF Pro Portfolio... then, once I was hooked on all of these... the conversion to the ultimate Motley-Fool-on-steroids service, the Duke Street all-access-pass membership, just made good economic sense (since it entitles a member to all current and all future newsletters and services for the guaranteed locked-in-for-perpetuity original annual cost of enrollment). This has been a very worthwhile investment, since when I originally signed up for the Duke Street deal there were only 9 newsletters/services in the Motley Fool universe, and now there are 15 services (and that doesn't include a couple of services that have come and gone in the interim -- i.e. Champion Funds and The Big Short). My annual cost for the 15 services is the same as it was for the original 9 services -- therefore the value of my initial Duke Street membership has grown and appreciated with the growth, development and expansion of The Motley Fool organization and scope of service offerings since the February of 2009 debut of the all-access service. At the time, signing up for the expensive Duke Street service was somewhat of a calculated risk and bet on the continuing growth, development and ongoing improvement of The Motley Fool organization. From the basis of my incrementally increasing direct experience with this quality innovative strength-in-diversity-embracing organization from the inside, I assessed that it would probably be a worthwhile investment over time -- and sure enough that has panned-out to be the case.

This is only my personal individual experience and path within the Motley Fool investment advisory service universe, and I don't rule out that others may have had different less-than-stellar experiences. However, I can only judge personally based upon what I know first-hand -- and I share my story here in that spirit, for whatever it is worth and for whatever light that it may shed on this conundrum regarding the marketing approach of The Motley Fool organization/business.

RSue
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.