Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the comments. The stocks in the IRA were an HG pick (IQNT) that I'd held long term, but finally sold for a huge loss. The stocks in the taxable account are from a completely different company (F), and I've held them for a long time because they did so well. Now I worry about selling them because of taxes on the profits. I haven't sold any shares for a profit yet. I was just wondering that if I did, could I use the loss in the IRA account to offset the selling for a profit if I decided to do so before I do my taxes.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.