No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the helpful replies.

It's not like I am about to quit my job. Since there is so little work right now, I have good reason to believe that the firm may let me go in the near term. Finding new work in my field is very unlikely (more likely if we were willing to move but nearly impossible otherwise unless I want to go back to the State - which I do not). I would consider a move but my husband is dead-set against. And I don't want to go dragging my family all around the country from job to job. No guarantees that any new job would be long term either. Particularly in any facet of telecom (including wireless and cable.)

So I have to move on.

Yes - public policy advocacy for a nonprofit could be personally rewarding but I don't think the pay is very good - don't think I could earn even half as much money doing it as what I am doing now. (That's what my cursory investigation into the matter shows.) Other public policy advocacy - the kind that pays ok - would likely be for some sort of bad actor that needs a good public face. Or maybe just an industry needing representation. Bottom line, though, such positions are not easy to come by at all. Not even sure how I'd go about looking for such a job.

I liked working for a large company and the perks that go with it - relatively cheap health and disability insurance, 401K, Flex-plan etc. Working for this small firm has been an eye-opener in that regard (I'm still on COBRA from my state job for family health insurance). I like regular paychecks too - something real estate folks don't have.

There's a lot to think about and I have begun that process and will be doing some talking to others and reading too. But I welcome all suggestions on here as well and thank you very much for them.

MitsouR
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.