Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the info. I did read the site and it still did not answer my question completely.

I know I do not qualify for the safe harbour in 2001. 2001 income will be approx 70K lower than 2000 (got a big bonus in 2000). Withholding will be a lot lower in 2001 also so the 90% rule also doesn't apply.

I could increase my withholding, but how much? How do I know how much my funds will have in distributions? Also, why give Uncle Sam a free loan by giving extra out of my pay?

Can't I wait until right before the 1st quarterly estimated payment is due and see how much my funds distributed in gains and dividends? If there weren't any I think I don't have to make a payment. If there were then I would make a payment for exactly 28% of the distribution. I could do that again in Jun, Sep and Jan 2002.

I am fairly confident that the withholding from my pay will cover my taxes due to my regular income. I am only worried about large distributions causing a tax problem.

I am pretty sure I can do this plan but my big question is if all the distributions are in Dec do I only have to make the one estimated payment in Jan 2002 and not make the Apr, Jun or Sep payment?

Thanks again,
c130king
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.