Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks for the info... the money gets taken out of my paycheck every month as it's supposed to but over the past 3 years they've missed depositing over 900.00 worth of the money that came straight from my paycheck as well as their contributions. Since it's tax season there's not much I can do but wait to see what kind of reparations I'll get interest wise and whatnot.

What you can do in the meanwhile is to contact the Department of Labor ( www.dol.gov ) Contact a benefits advisor by calling toll free at 1.866.444.EBSA (3272) or electronically at http://askebsa.dol.gov

Here is some information about 401k plans, but a lot of it is applicable to employer provided retirement plans in general: http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/wyskapr.html You should read the part about fiduciary duties, since your employer and the accountant are both fiduciaries. You should also focus on the section entitled 'What to do if you have a problem.' BTW, if the money isn't getting into the plan, it's not necessarily the plan's fault - either the employer or the accountant may not be sending the money. If they are sending the money, but it hasn't shown up at the plan, then it's a problem with the plan. It's not clear from your posts where the problem is.

There also used to be a link for a document entitled "Ten Warnings Signs That Your 401(k) Contributions Are Being Misused" - but the link seems to be missing. The FAQs are also missing right now, so I suspect that the DOL is doing some maintenance on their site - so check back in a day or so and look for those items.

The reason I said it's potentially disastrous is everything is going straight into an emerging markets fund A. High risk but it happens to have to done pretty well. Correct me if I'm wrong in assuming the potential for downfall on a fund like this.

Yes, 100% of your money in a fund like this is definitely a high risk/high reward type of venture. Can you change to another fund within the plan with low or no cost to you?

I'd love to be able to manage what I currently have on my own by rolling the money into a Rollover IRA but I don't want to have the money stuck there and not be able to roll it out after I leave the company. Can you have multiple IRA Rollovers?

As long as you have been in the Simple IRA for more than 2 years, you are allowed to roll the money to your own individual IRA. You are allowed to do rollovers multiple times in your lifetime, but cannot roll the same funds over more than one time a year. You can also do 'trustee to trustee' transfers which will avoid the rollover timing issue. See IRS publication 590 for more information: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf

AJ

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.