Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Thanks for the link. I just read parts of it and will read the rest later tonight. But I still have a few questions. It says that my parents can jointly give the money. Does it then have to come from a joint account?

No.

And should the checks be payable to me AND my wife or me OR my wife or just one of us (I mean the checks my parents write to us and that we put in the bank before we write a check to the builder--I don't suppose the money has to go directly from my parents to the builder).

The best way, for tracking purposes, is to issue four checks, each for $11,000. However, your parents can issue two checks for $22,000 each -- one payable to you and one to your wife. If they choose to go this route, they will still have to file a Gift Tax return (Form 709) indicating that they are splitting the $22,000 gift between them, thereby avoiding gift tax. The money should go to you first (again, this just helps identify the gift), but doesn't have to.

Is there also an exclusion of $11,000 for the money my parents give to my kids for college or other expenses?

If they give the money directly to the children, yes. However, they can pay any amount of tuition (but only tuition) directly to the college and still give another $11,000 each to the child.

Also, if my parents ever went beyond the $11,000 limit in the past (I'm not sure if they did), can the IRS tell them so that they can know?

Possibly. They should know because they would have had to file a Gift Tax return in any year where they exceeded the limit. (BTW, the limit was $10,000 before, I think, 2004.)

How does the IRS keep track of it? I just want to make sure that I do everything correctly and legally. Thanks.

Through the Form 709 filings.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.