Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the link to the article. It's hard to tell if the writer knows what he's talking about. I've found that when journalists use numbers, they often reach the wrong conclusions.

Hovnanian's cash flow and balance sheet give it the prowess to do that. It posted $4.2 million in sales for fiscal 2004, which ended in October.

For starters, it's $4.2 BILLION not million. Shucks, $4.2 million would only be 8 houses in California. ;-)

Then, if you scroll down to the bottom of the article, for homes delivered, the jump from '03 to '04 was 25%. The estimate from '04 to '05 is only 7%.

The other chart, U.S. Housing Starts, it shows an expected decrease for 2005. And, of course, interest rates are headed up.

From the article: "Despite concerns that big home builders are due to hit a wall at some point, Sorsby sounds optimistic about the future.

"I think we'll see three, four or five years of very smooth sailing for home builders," Sorsby said.

That does it for me! If analysts are saying that everything is fine, we're all in trouble. ;-) Looking at those charts, I'd say maybe ONE year of smooth sailing before they hit the wall.

Too many negatives that I don't understand. I had considered buying into HOV but I think I'll pass.

Nice chatting with you. And by the way, we should meet here in one year to see where HOV is. And if we were totally off base. ;-)

Andy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.